2/22/2009

Classes

Oftentimes, when people think of "college life" they forget that involves a little something called class. Though the Emory experience involves MUCH more than scheduled meeting times of education, they are surely an important part (and what you parents are paying for!)

Since Emory's student body is so diverse, no class schedule could be considered "typical". But I'd like to give you at least some idea. Sooo, I present to you my class schedule for my 6 semesters here. I also included my guesstimate (guess/estimate) of the number of students that were in the class, as well as my main reason for taking the course.

Freshman - Fall
Eng 101 - Expository Writing (fulfilled the freshman writing requirement - 18 students)
Math 111 - Calculus 1 (Math/computer science requirement - 30 students)
Phil 100 - Into to Philosophy (humanities requirement - 25 students)
Soc 101 - Intro to General Sociology (I was interested in sociology - 45 students)

Freshman - Spring
Dance 123R - Modern Dance 1 (It fulfilled 1/3 PE course requirements, plus I used to dance and missed it - 20 students)
Hist 232 - Making of Modern American: US since 1877 (History requirement - 30 students)
PE 101 - Personal Health Education (a required class for everyone, about 250 students since everyone had to take it. But everyone also has a weekly discussion group with a Public Health grad student and about 15 students)
Pols 120 - Intro to Comparative Politics (International studies requirement, plus I was interested in possibly minoring in polisci - 25 students)
Psyc 110 - Intro to Psychology: Psychobiology and Cognition (I was interested in psychology - 125 students)
Psych 190 - Freshman Seminar: Psychology and Pseudoscience (I was extremely interested in the course description, plus every freshman is required to take a seminar - which oftentimes isn't in their major/minor - 11 students.)

Sophomore - Fall
Eng 270 - Intro to Creative Writing: Fiction and Poetry (Interested in the course/subject - 15 students)
JS 169 - The Arab-Israeli Conflict (Interested in the course and the Jewish Studies program - 90 students)
Psyc 205 - Child Development (I love kids - 45 students)
Span 201 - Intermediate Spanish I (Language Requirement - 12 students)

Sophomore - Spring
EDS 201 - American Education (Interested in the course - 25 students)
Eng 378 - Creative Writing: Intermediate Screenwriting (I was interested in the course, plus I wanted to make sure that I wanted to become a Creative Writing major - 15 students)
Jnrl 201 - News Reporting and Writing (Interested in journalism - 12 students)
Span 202 - Intermediate Spanish II (Language Requirement - 17 students)

Junior - Fall
Eng 212 - Readings in Popular Literature and Culture (for my major - 18 students)
Eng 370 - Creative Writing: Intermediate Fiction (for my major/interested - 8 students)
JS 205 - Biblical Literature (for my minor/interested - 15 students)
PE 194 - Stress Reduction and Flexibility (PE Credit - 23 students)
JS 370 - Topics in Jewish Religion and Culture: Holocaust Memoirs (for my minor/interested - 18 students)

Junior - Spring
Eng 311 - Intro to Shakespeare (for my major - 19 students)
Eng 371 - Creative Writing: Intermediate Poetry (for my major/interested - 14 students )
JS 370 - Topics in Jewish Religion and Culture: Religion and Medical Ethics (for my minor/interested - 13 students)
Phys 116 - Intro Astronomy w/ Lab (lab science requirement - 38 students in the lecture, 20 student in the lab)

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! I'd LOVE to know if anyone is reading this!

...and now I'm off to start watching the Oscar's Red Carpet with some of my sorority sisters. I just can't resist judging beautiful celebrities on their dress choices.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Judy , I was just reading your blog and it has been really helpful for me to learn more about life at Emory. Especially because I live in Ecuador South America and there's no way for me to check your campus without making an expensive trip to Atlanta. I'm aplying as a transfer student for this Fall so it is very nice to have an insight on how Emory is like. Do you now anything about International Relations and Economics majors at Emory? Those are my intended majors so I'd really appreciate some comments about that. I also read in your blog about sororities; I think they will be a great way to make me feel more at home, and I wanted to know if transfer students can also be part of a sorority. Thank you very much for your posts, they are a terrific help for applicants like me.
Take care!

Jodi said...

Hi Karen,
Thanks so much for reading and enjoying! :) Unfortunately, I don't know a lot about the International Relations or Economic programs, besides that I've heard good comments on both. If you have a specific question though, I'll try to find out and get back to you. Just comment here again.

And transfer students can definitely join sororities. There are several in mine, as well as a few international students. Every year, a good number of upperclassman go through recruitment in the spring and most receive invites to join a sorority.

Hope that helps!
- Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hi again! I'm so glad to find out that transfer students can join a sorority:)It'll be sooo cool to have like a family in the place I'm gonna spend the next 2 years! Makes me much more excited about going to Emory! I'm currently trying to write my why Emory essay for my app wich is a lot harder for me since I can't go check out your campus! So any comments on that would be really nice! Anyway, thanks again for your blog posts! they're an amazing way to know a lot about student life. Keep on posting!
Karen

Jodi said...

Awww... your enthusiasm about sororities makes me happy.

About your Why Emory essay, don't worry about not already seeing the campus. Just be honest: why ARE you interested in Emory? Your essay may even be more original than other applicants, since your going off of others factors. Mention specific things you've heard or read about the school that have made it stand out to you. Heck, you can even say that you enjoy the student blogs and what to be a part of the things we've mentioned. GOOD LUCK!

- Jodi

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

I transferred to Emory as a sophomore and joined a sorority. It was the best decision I made at Emory. It can be hard to meet new people as a transfer student, but joining a sorority gives you a big group of people who are excited to get to know you. All sororities participate in formal recruitment in January, but some sororities also have informal upperclassmen recruitment in September. Your RA can probably tell which sororities do fall recruitment if that's something you're interested in.

Jodi, sorry to hijack your blog, but you know how much I love Greek life.

-Kate