3/18/2009

Give me a break!

I went to FLORIDA for Spring Break '09! Whoooo!

That would be a lot more exciting if Florida wasn't simply home. In fact, I wanted to go out-of-state for college to get the heck away from my always-summer-and-ridiculous-humid-resulting-in-crazy-frizzy-hair-and-hurricane-threats-but-no-fun-snow-days state. But I do admit that I've developed a greater appreciation for South Florida since I started living in the state above.

I went home this year on Friday, the 6th and stayed until Sunday, the 15h. There was no class Monday-Friday. I played with my parents' Wii fit, went shopping for a upcoming sorority formal dress, worked on some summer internship applications, saw Slumdog Millionaire (which I loved, loved, loved) and of course, spent some quality time lounging on the beach. It was very nice and relaxing. In my opinion, Spring Break is the PERFECT amount of break time; Thanksgiving is far too short and Winter Break is way too long. After a week, I've had enough lazy time to feel satisfied yet I'm also glad to go back to Emory.

In terms of what most students do over Spring Break - it varies. Many people go back home, travel with family or go on adventures with friends. (And yes, Florida is an extremely popular vacation spot). Several Emory student groups also offer "alternative spring breaks", in which any student can sign up to volunteer in an area of need - such as building homes in New Orleans or tutoring children in Chicago. It's just a half-hour drive to the Atlanta Airport. And by the way, I adore the Atlanta Airport. There's a ridiculous number of food options, it's the Delta hub so I can find flights at anytime super easily, and indoor trams transport you from terminal to terminal. Some people hate the size (it's the busiest airport in the world, literally) but it's easy to navigate.

OK...back to internship applications. Hollar at me with ANY Emory/general college questions!

0 comments: