4/09/2009

Relay For Life

This past Friday night, I participated in Emory's Relay For Life. For those who don't know, Relay is an overnight event that different cities and colleges hold nationwide. It raises money for the American Cancer Society, spreads information about cancer prevention, and is just a fun time! Emory's lasted from 7pm till 7am on the outdoor track. Different campus groups and clubs set up tents and booths around the track, offering food and/or games for a donation. At least one person from each club is supposed to be walking around the track at all times.

I walked for my sorority's team. Each team was assigned a different country for which to decorate their tent. We got Madagascar.

Doesn't that just screeeam Madagascar? We thought so. Our fundraiser was henna tattoos, which actually were pretty popular.

I stayed till around 12:30. I walked a lot, played some frisbie, played (and lost) a round of "punch pong" (AKA beer pong, but with Hawaiian Punch), decorated a cookie, participated in a "frozen T-shirt" concert and danced the Conga, Macarana, Chicken Dance and other cheesy songs that I haven't heard some my Bat Mitzvah days. There were also a lot of performances from student groups, including a capella, modern dance and some really neat Indian dancing. Sadly, I didn't win any raffles this year, but last year I won a coupon for free Yoforia (an AMAZING frozen yogurt place - like Pinkberry in NY - near campus).

Overall, it was a really fun night. I LOVED how much turnout there was; I saw nearly all my friends show up for at least a little while.

Here are some pictures (stolen from friends) from last year's Relay:

---------
Before I end this post, I have to give a shout-out to my friends reading this blog. Hi Kate and Karla! Both of them have told me how amused they are that I'm doing this.

Now I'm off to a passover seder with some friends. Happy passover to anyone celebrating!

0 comments: